Roll-Back Taxes

Currently land classified for agriculture use receives special tax breaks but when this land is converted to residential or commercial usage the new owner is forced to pay roll-back taxes. The newly acquired or reclassified property is then taxed based upon the full value previously determined by the county, and five years of “roll-back” taxes are due. The HBASC would like to commend Rep. Steven Long of Boiling Springs for introducing legislation that would limit the roll-back tax penalty to one year instead of the last five years when converting agriculture property to residential or commercial use.